We make transactional sales to people looking for just one thing. It could be the lowest cost term insurance or the highest paying MYGAs. But, we all know when we get that feeling that this is going to be it. So, we treat that “customer” with the dignity and respect that they are deserving of, providing top notch service. We continue to drip on the them with helpful information, and contact them at least once per year for a phone review. And, we cross our fingers for the time when that person wants another product. But, the client is different. Let’s explore…
The client is one that had enough faith in you to do a proper fact find and then agreed that a solution was necessary for the challenges they identified and was open to looking at your solution. We now have a “consultative” relationship as opposed to a “transactional” relationship when they purchase from us. These are also the best source for referred leads. As you know, there is no better lead than the referred lead. But, that comes with mutual trust.
Let me get back to the client appreciation event, and how this can transform your business and give you the best and most economical leads.
Okay, let’s make this simple.
- Invite your clients to an annual client appreciation event at a restaurant
- Keep it at 45 minutes
- Give them an update on the financial world, interest rates, new products etc.
- Have this at a restaurant and make the time 5:30
- Have wine, cheese, soft drinks and chips
- Encourage them to bring their family members
- Tell them the requested entry fee is that the bring a couple, or single, that might have an interest in the services that you are providing them
- Work a deal with the restaurant and get a buy one entrée and get one free The restaurant is always happy to do this as the people will all be seated at 6:15.
This is great chance for your guests to socialize. And, your cost is the wine and cheese and other snacks. Then… you should leave the building. You will have provided the attendees with handouts and an offer for a complimentary no obligation meeting with the new guests. A card requesting that will be provided in the folder you give them
Guys and ladies, I have done these and they work. First off, it is the right thing to do for your clients and you will meet your clients next generation and new prospects.
Good luck and good selling!
Raymond J. Ohlson, CLU, CRC, LACP
President and CEO of The Ohlson Group