The song spans many generations. It was a great hit when I was in college. I use the title of the song as it relates to seminar and workshop marketing. While they are an excellent way to attract new prospects, and hopefully write new business, it’s still….only the beginning. The seminar is but one of the building blocks in developing, and sustaining, a thriving financial services practice. I believe that too many advisors use the seminar to “just write business.” Don’t get me wrong, that is what we are trying to do, but that shouldn’t be the end-all. If that is all there is, you are getting customers, not clients. The successful advisor has a clientele, not a book of customers. Let me further explain:
Have you, or your children, ever owned a hamster? If you did, you probably purchased a little wheel for their cage. It was amusing to watch the hamster run its little legs off. The problem was, the hamster never made any progress. The wheel kept turning and the hamster kept running. This is how I see the advisor that is making “one-off” sales. I call this just getting the low hanging fruit. He is destined and required to find new prospects for he will not get additional business from customers. The client views the advisor as someone to be trusted, that will review their situation on a regular basis and one that will keep them updated on new laws, regulations, opportunities and potential potholes.
But how do you develop the clientele as opposed to a customer base. Let’s examine:
- BRAND YOURSELF: Position yourself in your community as the expert. You can accomplish this by speaking at service and senior organizations for free. You can partner up with a bookseller, a florist, a pharmacist and anyone else that can help provide an interesting venue! Nothing sold here! Just giving time and information. You will be repaid!
- NEWSLETTERS: Write or purchase a newsletter to keep your name in front of the people of which you do business.
- RADIO INFOMERCIALS: Sounds formidable? It’s not! We have our own studio to assist you in the development, recording and placement of your infomercial. We have a joint venture with proven broadcasting and communications experts. On the radio? You are an expert!
- PUBLIC RELATIONS PROGRAM: When is the last time you wrote and filed a press release? This is publicly, not advertising. You can’t buy publicity. We can show you how to get this accomplished.
- MEET THE FAMILY….HAVE CLIENT APPRECIATION GATHERINGS: Invite the next generation! Your client will pass and you eventually meet the kids. Why not now? They are baby boomers and good prospects. Build your business with the next generation.
- REFFERRED LEADS: This is basic and ignored by most. These are still your best leads. Get a minimum of three (3) per sale.
- DIRECT MAIL: Always utilize different forms of prospecting. This is an additional low cost means of ‘filling the gap’ with your seminar appointments.
- DATABASE SYSTEMS: Utilize a program to track, monitor and remind you of your clients’ needs. Review daily…. ‘Out of sight….out of mind.’
- BIRTHDAY & HOLIDAY CARDS: A no brainer!
- A ‘HOW ARE YOU DOING?’ CALL: No specific reason…just a check in.
- DO YOU HAVE A MARKETING PLAN? If not….develop it now! Don’t know how to write a marketing plan? Get someone to help. We provide marketing plan templates and will work with you to implement.
- PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE: More than annuities. Single Premium Life (Capital Transfer), Medicaid Planning, Long Term Care and long term care alternatives.
- STRATEGIC ALLIANCES: Collaborate with financial planners, attorneys, CPAs and P&C people. DO seminars for them. Low cost and a source of additional referrals.
- HAVE SOMEONE TO TURN TO: Have someone with whom you can share victories and problems. Hook up with an Insurance Marketing Organization that has street time, marketing experience and enough time to work with you “ONE ON ONE.”
- OR…. You can just keep sending out invitations, clip the low hanging fruit and be like the hamster on the treadmill. Nothing is forever. Neither are seminars.
You deserve clients and deserve long term success,. You work hard for your family and deserve assistance. You should align yourself with people that share your passion and have the tools to help you succeed! We have solutions to all of your marketing needs.
Please give us a call 1-877-844-0900 or comment below to find out how we will help you build clientele that will reward you with referrals and more business.
Until next time ... Good Selling!
Raymond J. Ohlson, CLU, CRC
President and CEO of The Ohlson Group